Friday, July 8, 2011

My kids have never smelled so delicious.

For those of you who know me (and didn't just stumble upon this blog by mistake) you know I love to tell everyone and their grandmother about anything that I love.  Baby-wearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, elephant herding, etc. You get the picture.  And when I come across a product I love, you'd better watch out because every time I find a use for it in YOUR life, I'm going to tell you exactly why you need to buy it.  Right now. While I'm watching you.  Go ahead and have your credit card ready... I mean it. 

Squid Balm is a company with body care products that will rock your world.  They are made by a mother who was looking for products that were safe and didn't irritate her daughter's sensitive skin.  Any mother of a child who has allergies and eczema knows how hard it can be to find the right product to use.  Look no further. Squid Balm is a real winner.  

I've had the pleasure of trying out EVERYTHING that Squid Balm has to offer.  So yes, I was given products to test out, but this blog post was my own idea and all the views and opinions expressed in this blog post are mine and mine only.  If you agree with me then that is a mere (but awesome) coincidence.  

Without making you travel to the website I will tell you that they have solid lotion bars, solid shampoo bars, solid conditioner bars, bath bombs, soap, and oil cleansers (for YOUR FACE!) My absolute favorite is the oil cleanser.  I'm not kidding when I tell you my face has never felt this awesome. Never.  And it's not making me break out so apparently it's as awesome as I think it is.  I'm very self-conscious about my face and to be honest I had pretty much given up on washing it with any sort of cleanser because everything made my face feel dry and damaged.  I don't worry about any of that anymore.  Don't be a skeptic. Try it and become a believer. 

Next, you're probably wondering "What the heck is up with all these "solid" products".  Solid bars of products mean that there are not any added preservatives or water.  I'd say if foods get to brag about "no added preservatives" then it's probably pretty BA that body care products can do the same.  The products you use on your skin can be absorbed, so keeping out anything that might be potentially harmful (or in the very least, unhelpful) sounds like a decent idea.  Months ago I came across the company Lush and tried some of their products.  I wish I had come across Squid Balm sooner.  By far, the Squid Balm products are my favorite.  I am in serious lust with the scent of my Lush soap but it left my skin feeling kind of dry after a shower.  Enough that I noticed it which says something because I can be fairly unobservant.  The Squid Balm soaps have left my skin feeling nice and never a time where I stepped out of the shower feeling the need to douse myself in lotion.  And ahh, the lotion.  The solid lotion bar is a bit odd to apply.  I can't really say that I've masted it's art, but I want to.  I keep forgetting about it because I've never been one to apply much lotion but the one leg I managed to get fully covered was the nicest I've ever had one leg feel in my entire life.  

I think my most favorite of favorite products has to be the solid conditioner bar. Unfortunately my hair is too short (and the shampoo is already too awesome) for me to need the conditioner.  The use of the conditioner in my hair makes it greasy as I am one of those special people the should never use conditioner on their roots... and well... These days my hair is all "root".  Or mostly is.  So why is it my favorite? Deb (the brains behind Squid Balm) told me her favorite use for the bar is for SHAVING.  If I have to admit to hating buying any one thing it would be shaving cream.  I never remember to buy it, I'm always running out and I never have time to shave my legs anyways so what's the point? In a pinch I have used lotion, conditioner and body wash to shave my legs.  None of those things really cut it.  But hey, why not give it a shot?  Let me say this, I will never buy anything else to shave with.  My legs felt so smooth after shaving that I didn't even need the lotion.  They felt so smooth that I made my BFF Laura (who by the way doesn't like hugging, or touching people in general) feel my leg.  And I made her feel it in public.  (And for those of you wondering, no I didn't die and yes, she thought my leg felt very nice, thank you). 

So yes, for myself I love all these products.  I love them so much that using them on myself just wasn't enough.  I use them on my children.  I don't think my kids have ever been so clean.  While I've contemplated it, I've managed to keep myself from rolling them in the mud just so I could clean them off ;) These products are NOT tear free.  The things that make products tear free are chemicals and that's not something we want added to our natural products.  They are, however, mild.  And when I say mild it means that yes, I use them on my children, and no, my kids do not like me washing their hair and yes, I've gotten it in their eyes (all three of them).  More than on one occasion.  All it took to "fix" the problem was to wipe their eyes with a dry towel.  Other than being a little pink around the eyes from where I just rubbed them with the towel, there wasn't any irritation. No bloodshot eyes and all screaming had ceased.  Actually, only one of my kids screamed and that was Saoirse. Anyone who has met Saoirse, knows she's a drama queen.  Sheenagh just started rubbing furiously at her eyes and grunting until I dried her face off.  

So there you have it folks.  I double dog dare you to go to their website and have a look-see.  (That's my hick-talk for "check it out").  I'm most certain you will like what you find.  Deb is super wonderful and more than willing to answer any and all questions you may have about the products that she has.  

(Tristan these are some of the products coming to you!)

3 comments:

  1. One, your style of writing is AWESOME and two, I'm goin to take you up on your double dog dare ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep going to look at their stuff since I saw you mention it on FB awhile ago. Couldn't decide if I wanted to get some of this or place an order with Delish Naturals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish Naturals has a great rash cream. I really like it, a lot and it has multiple uses. I've put it on the girls' heads for their cradle cap and it really seemed to help, I just never remembered to put it on with any regularity.

    The Squid Balm shampoo and soaps are the only bath products I've used on them since we got our stuff and I happened to notice one day that the cradle cap on Sheenagh's head was clearing up. I also notice my scalp doesn't feel as dry either, and I always have an itchy scalp.

    ReplyDelete